Dr.Somnath Das: feedback on vision-2015, sent to MCI


Respected Sir,


I came to know about the "Vision" of M.C.I. a bit late, as I am a teacher of Forensic Medicine of an institute in a remote village of west bengal. Its only today that I reached Kolkata and got down to write my views about a subject I respect. It surprised me the day it was reduced to 40 marks. It surprised me more when I saw the stalwarts in our discipline did not even bothered to rise a voice against it. I was then a P.G.T. Now that I have become a teacher of this subject I feel a bit to say something against the New Vision of M.C .I. Here are my views ----

1. Every time I start my First Lecture to my New Students, I say " Look, after becoming a doctor the subjects that you would require in practical field and that will help to earn your living are a few, and Forensic Medicine is one and perhaps the most important among them. If you say why, I must clarify you. Firstly, Whatever is your degree, if you are being posted in a District Hospital, you will have to preform Post Mortem Examination, in P.H.C. or R.H. or where ever, you will have to perform Medical Examinations of Victim Girls, Accused, Injured Person etc., everywhere you are you will have to treat patients of Poisoning, and above all you will have to learn how to getout of the hands of Medical Negligence." Unfortunately or fortunately We are the who people teach these.
To become a Basic Doctor, as per the vision of M.C.I. whether these things are required or not is a question that should be asked to those people framing the New "vision".

2. Every time I go to give Evidence in the Court, the Honerable Judge put forward the poor quality of P.M. report writing of the doctors of different hospitals and asks me why don't we teach them the better way of P.M. report writing.It was only yesterday when I talked with him about the new Vision, when he just told "Satyanash" - I think the word speaks for itself. I think the vision is for the betterment and not for the worse.

3. Whenever there is any case of Sexual Assault admitted in the department of O & G or Surgery a call book is given to our department for our opinion and necessary action. Even in the late hours we do the needful only for the sake of justice as delay in sample collection may dilute the case. It is our students now a days who collect the samples in a correct manner with their knowledge of Forensic Medicine, without the subject I don't  think it would have been possible.

Now let us discuss something else - 

It is told that the use of Power is justifiable when all the people have equal share of it, unfortunately the BOG of M.C.I. is not having the representation of those subjects which are being modified. Is this Justice? Above all it is not clear to me what is the basis of such modification - 

#  If it is to reduce the syllabus, then overlapping of chapters may be reduced, say Community Medicine teaches a lot which are again being taught in Medicine, Pathophysilogy may be tagged with Physiology, the pure Chemistry may be omitted from Biochemistry and so on.

#  But if you want to reduce the syllabus the way it is with Forensic Medicine, I have a lot to say. You can simply omit the Subjects like Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology as a lot of those are  taught in Medicine and Surgery. And if you can extend the Physiology and Biochemistry part in 10+2 Syllabus, omit them also. then we will be having doctors in less that 3 years and perhaps even through correspondence also.

# And it is surprising the subject that is having it's own entity, free from overlap, is being omitted.

lets not make this letter lengthy, my suggestions are.

1. Forensic Medicine Must stay as a subject of Under Graduate.
2. The Subject Should be Taught in 3rd Prof. Part 1 or 2, as majority of the chapters in relation to this is in 3rd prof. for e.g. Toxicology, Injury report Writting, Medical Examination Reports, Death Certificates, and Above all Issues in relation to the Medical Negligence.
3. It should be consisting of 2 papers, of which the 2nd bearing the Clinical Forensic Medicine and Toxicology and the 1st one, the rest.

I end here with this note that in our country we fail to listen to something until it is directed by the Court. Hope in this case it will not be the same.

                                                                                                                                                                    Regards,

Dr. Somnath Das 
H.O.D. F.S.M.
Medinipore Medical college
West Bengal

No comments:

Post a Comment